When it comes to choosing a career, parents still want their children to don the white coat,”
1. The ‘going to phoren’ craze has decreased with a lot of career options now available in India.
2. Most parents want their children to go abroad just for short-term post graduate courses and then return to settle in India.
3. Only a select few go abroad for undergraduate courses, since they are very costly with no scholarships available at that level.
4. Most elders do not see the new emerging professions to be very secure. For them, being a doctor or engineer is still very respectable and pays well.
5. Though new professions like IT and technology have emerged, most parents still want their children to be doctors. It is still the top ranked profession, especially because it is considered very respectable.